Saturday, October 9, 2010

Remember the 7"

I have finally had a bit of time to get up and down to the record player every few minutes. I've acquired some 7"'s recently and it has been so refreshing listening in.

For some reason they have made me get my Montana Pete 7"s out and even further by having a refreshing listen to Minutemen. I can never get tired of listening to the Minutemen. Anyway back to those 7"s

Airfix Kits
FlexTime 7"/ Playing Both Sides 7" (Deranged Records / Dirtnap Records)
Minutemen kick Big Flame up the Dawson
(I love yr) 80s aesthetic, 21 Hot Knives are the perfect supplement to Flex Time. Short snappy songs on a 7" record with a jangly guitar sound. It's slightly off time and is a throwback to what i liked most in the 80's. I'd love to see their record collection cos I want what these listen to. The other 7" is playing both sides and Leaving produces more of the same. Allans scotish vocals reminds of a time when whirling pig dervish played the lead in my collection. I can't get enough of this stuff.


And then I get a 7" by Sauna Youth. There is very little detail on the band and the 7" is pretty minimal in detail. However thanks to the internet I can read all about them. it's not reading I wanna do it's listen to these 3 songs. Kind of like a more hardcore version of Airfix Kits. It has that quirky sound but with Minor Threat as the condiment. Again no info on the 7" but 4 great songs can be explained by huxleyboon@gmail.com if you want.

6 comments:

MacDara said...

That Allan McNaughton dude from Airfix Kits was in Giant Haystacks if I remember correctly. He used to frequent the Watt List on Yahoo Groups a few years ago so I know he's a huge Minutemen fan.

niallmc said...

he sure is, and writes a column in MRR which usually has a reference to Minutemen or some such good band

mutt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mutt said...

Bugger - last one was removed because I hit publish before I was finished typing it! Anyways:

Allan was also in Glue, who did a split 7" with Dublin's own Wheel way back in the day, and if I remember correctly Garden Variety were on that one too..

niallmc said...

bizarrely enough I was only looking at that record yesterday. I have it on the turntable nopw. Yep, Wheel, Garden Variety and Glue - First Strike Records from 1993

Allan said...

Cheers for the kind words Niall...
Guilty on all the aforementioned counts; the Wheel song on that split was amazing, 'navigate the muscle', I put that on mix tapes for years afterwards...