Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ireland Argentina - an organisational farce

Here's a copy of what I submitted to Ticketmaster for review of Argentina's defeat of Ireland at the new stadium

************************************************************************************

Being a believer in public transport I placed my hands in the lap of the dart to attend the first soccer international at the newly developed Landsdowne Road. Getting out of the train at Lansdowne I started to wish I had already got my tickets in my hand as I ended up visiting 2 incorrect collection points. I should have read my email correctly but stewards pointed me in the wrong direction 2 times. Third time lucky I felt and I ended up at the collection point outside Landsdowne House.

It was then time to go to the game but I had to go on another mystery tour to get to my seat. I could see the new development inviting me in but as my seat was for the east stand I had to take the scenic route around not only the stadium but the adjoining thoroughfare. 50 minutes after getting off the dart which leads to the ground I arrived at the turnstiles. My 8 year old sons enthusiasm was flagging at this stage, mine was well disipated. Mess(y) indeed.

Football from Argentina was great, Ireland fought valiantly and the final whistle went, not after a controversial goal got us a bit excited. I then went to head back to the train station only to be met by a line of stewards not really in the mood for talking but certainly intent on implementing the Spanish Civil War motto - 'no pasaran'. They shall not pass the direct route to the dart. Do no pass Go, go straight AROUND the vicinity. I gathered myself and headed towards the nearer Grand Canal Dock station. Closed. I ventured to Pearse Street. Packed - no extra trains to ease congestion. My 8 yr old was still singing sweetly about the wonderful Lionel but more and more kept asking "are we there yet?".
That mantra continued across the water to the northside where I eventually got a bus to sanctity, knowing I will never spend €60.50 on this mess again.

1 comment:

phillaldinho said...

That's not a problem exclusive to Landsdowne Road. Public transport in Ireland is genreally pretty rubbish.